Практическая английский - Гаращенко
Grammar: verbs: to be, to have; a noun.I. Read the following words
Economist, cashier, financier, society, important, book-keeper, special, saving, busy, realize, corner-stone, science, economics, special ty .II. Read and translate the following text I am a student
I am Kovalenko Katya. So, I am a student now. I'm a first-year student of the day-time department. I've entered State Tax Service Academy of Ukraine after finishing a secondary school. You know, that was my dream to enter this Institute. No wonder, as all members of our family are economists.
My father taught me to understand and love mathematics. I realize now mathematics is a corner-stone of all sciences. My father works as a financier at the Economic Planning Department of the plant.
My mother is a book-keeper at a book-keeping department of the factory. She likes her specialty very much. I love a sister. She is twenty. And she is also an economist. She works as a cashier at the post-office savings-bank. She combines her work with studies at the Institute. She is a second-year student of non-resident instruction at this Institute.
As you see, I took my parents way. I worked hard to pass my entrance examinations well. And now i've become a happy member of the great, young family of students.
Many new things and notions came into my life with it. At first, I didn't know what they meant. Now I became familiar with such words as “a freshman”, “a sophomore”, “an undergraduate and such terms as “a period”, “a seminar”, “labworks”. I know what it means “to make notes”, “to pass thousands”, etc.
I'm still to know more, and first of all how to save time to be able to not only study well, but to take an active part in the students’ life, to join some students’ scientific society and to sing in our Academy choir, to become a member of our Academy famous football team and to visit interesting students’ evening-parties.
I'm fond of everything at my Academy. I like its great beautiful building, sport complex, it's lecture halls, laboratories, studies.
I'm a freshman, as they call the first-year students. It'll take time to take time to know everything about our Academy.Comments
1. a student of the day-time department - студент дневного отделения ; syn. a student of resident instruction; a full-time student
2. no wonder - неудивительно
3. all the members - все члены; syn. whole - весь; remember: the whole world but all the students; the whole family but all the books
4. the Economic Planning Department - планово-экономический отдел
5. a book-keeper - бухгалтер; syn. - an accountant; a book-keeping department - бухгалтерия
6. a cashier - кассир; syn. a teller; cash - деньги (наличные) syn. money
7. the post-office savings-bank - сбербанк на поштампі
8. non-resident instruction - заочное обучение; syn. extra-mural education, education by correspondence
9. to take somebody's way - пойти по чьим-то путем
10. at first - сначала; first of all - прежде всего
11. ...became familiar with... - узнала
12. a freshman - a first-year student; a sophomore - a second-year student; undergraduate - student of senior courses
13. I'm still to know more-я должен узнать еще больше
14. to join some students’ scientific society - стать членом студенческого научного кружка
to join the army - пойти в армию
to join a team - войти в состав команды (спортивной)
15. students’ evening-parties - студенческие вечера
16. a lot more - многое другое; a lot of - много
a lot of books, a lot of time
syn. many, much, a great deal of, plenty of
17. to be fond of - любить, нравиться; syn. to like
18. like - подобно тому как; to be like - быть похожим
He is like his father - Он схож с отцом.
He likes skating - Он любит кататься на коньках
He is a student like me - Он, как и я, студент
19. it'll take time - понадобится времяIII. Find the Russian equivalents in the right-hand column for the following
1. the economic planning department 1. студент первого курса
2. the post-office savings-bank 2. дневное отделение
3. a sophomore 3. поступать в институт
4. a book-keeping department 4. планово-экономический отдел
5. to take one's parents’ way 5. бухгалтерия
6. a freshman 6. сбербанк на почтамте
7. to pass ”thousands” 7. студент второго курса
8. the day-time department 8. пойти по стопам родителей
9. a lot more 9. студент старшего курса
10. an undergraduate 10. сдавать ”тысячи”
11. to enter the Institute 11. студенческий научный кружок
12.it'll take time to know 12. еще больше
13.students’ scientific society 13. понадобится время, чтобы узнатьIV. Use the words and word combinations given in Ex. III in the sentences of your own V. Translate the following sentences
А) 1. He took his brother's way and became an economist. 2. How much does it take you to get to the Institute? It takes me ten minutes. 3. How much will it take you to get to Lviv by train? It will take me 14 hours. 4. It will take him two hours to translate this article. 5. He takes after his father. 6. When going to the Institute he takes a bus. 7. She took the shortest way to get to the library. 8. It'll take time to forget this event.
B) 1. He is like his father. 2. He likes Political Economy very much. 3. My friend does this work like me. 4. It looks like snow. 5. This book costs something like 1 dollar. 6. They mustn't talk like that. 7. He was running like a sportsman. 8. My sister likes dancing. 9. I should like to take my father's way. 10. He should like to be the first student in his group.
C) 1. I'll join you in your work. 2. My friend joined the National Guard. 3. The best students of our group joined Scientific Societies. 4. My junior brother will soon join the school volley-ball team.VI. Complete the following sentences
1. Kate has become a student of ... . 2. All the members of her family are ... . 3. Her father works as ... . 4. Her sister works ... . 5. Kate ... worked hard to pass ... . 6. She became familiar with ... . 7. Kate is still to know how ... . 8. She will take an active part in ... .VII. Say if it is right
1. Kate's dream was to enter the Medical institute. 2. Kate's mother is a doctor. She works at a hospital. 3. Kate's sister works at a plant. She is a freshman. 4. Kate didn't take her parents’ way. 5. Kate doesn't know what it means ”to make notes”, ”to pass thousands”.VIII. Answer the following questions
1. What higher school Kate has entered? 2. Is she a sophomore or a freshman? 3. Whose way did she take? 4. What are all the members of her family? 5. Who taught her to understand and love mathematics? 6. Where does Kate's father work? 7. What is Kate's mother? 8. What does Kate's sister work as? 9. Is Kate's sister a full-time student? 10. Why did Kate pass her entrance exams well? 11. What Kate did become familiar with? 12. What is Kate still to know more? 13. What does it mean to take an active part in the student's life at the Institute? 14. What Kate does like at the Academy?IX. Speak about yourself using the lexics of the text